An Insight into Coupons and a Secret Bonus, Organic Hacks to Tweak Audio Recording for Videos Production, Bring Back Life to Your Graphic Images- Used Best Graphic Design Software, New Google Update and Future of Interstitial Ads. Any specific type/brand to look for? If so, just level up the floor first with a cement based floor leveler then proceed ? How Do I Get Rid Of Green Mold In My Lawn? or OSB Joists, I-joists, or trusses Ceramic or porcelain tile Unmodified thin-set mortar DITRA-HEAT or DITRA-HEAT-TB uncoupling membrane and heating cables Latex p.c. I accidentally poked a hole through the Schluter-KERDI while installing the membrane. The back side of the drywall fails and it is just as bad or worse than if it had an issue on the tile side. Please note that you need 48 hours for full cure on the Kerabond. You can slightly lift one of the edges to check on the progress. Will OSB Suck Moisture from the Mortar Used to Install DITRA? If you must tape Schluter-KERDI over Solid Backing for Walls, Scott McGillivray on Waterproofing Principles using Schluter-Systems, How to Waterproof Connections to Fixed Building Elements. For all the substrates listed in this Handbook (e.g., gypsum board, cement backerboard, etc. Thanks again Robert. How do you prepare OSB subfloor for tile? It shouldnt be too thin or too thick. Is there a product you would recommend? Manufacturers generally recommend that the deflection of the subfloor system be limited to no more than span/360 under total load. I'll be sure to let everyone know if/when I find out the hard way! The use of really cold water might give you an extra minute or two. Jobsite Saw PRO has a wider table, a new dust-control port, and a more versatile fence, along with the same reliable safety mechanism included in all SawStop tablesaws. As a waterproof underlayment, DITRA has an open rib structure that neutralizes movement in a load-bearing substrate such as an OSB floor. Do I need to start over or can I simply repair the hole? a buddy said J Bridges is now saying he uses modified on top and underneath too. Continuing Education for Architects & Designers. Please refer to the Schluter-Shower System Installation Handbook How long do I have to wait before I can install tile on the Schluter-KERDI membrane? The Kerdi system is installed using thin-set mortar. I am out of level less than 1/4" from side to side and I'm going over OSB. I'm not so sure any of this makes a difference? If working with a wood subfloor, you can build up the rest of the subfloor by installing either a 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB panel on top of the wood subfloor along with DITRA or another Schluter-Systems uncoupling membrane. You should be good to go anytime now. In general, unmodified thin-set mortar is a blend of Portland cement, sand, and water retention agents that is mixed with How far up the wall do I need to install the Schluter-KERDI? Almost like a hydraulic cement. A couple of questions: What color grout are you planning to use? It can still feel the effects of excess moisture exposure. Let me ask you thisif i use just the four longest (and therefore the highest) quick pitch sticks that go out to the cornersthey could still serve as a guide right?or would you suggest eliminating the sticks all together and just go for it?.How long will this dry pack stay workable? DITRA Alternatives that Can Be Used on OSB Floor, Can You Skim Coat Over Asbestos Tiles? The back side of the drywall fails and it is just as bad or worse than if it had an issue on the tile side. Keep in mind all of the work your doing. There are two methods to seal KERDI to a bathtub. Unmodified thin-set mortar is recommended to set ceramic and stone tile, including large format tiles, over the KERDI membrane. Only use Schluter screws and washers to attach KERDI-BOARD to the studs. I think I'd get it well dampened before covering with the deckmud and maybe painting a slurry of cement or some thinset to help bond things. To allow for greater movement, the center section of the KERDI-FLEX can be tucked into the cavity of the expansion joint prior to bonding. Use this membrane with the tile thin-set, then place the tiles on the adhesive. If so, you haven't done anything wrong. The only time I've used Ultraflex with a Schluter product is when I adhere Ditra to a plywood substrate, if you put Ditra over a SLC you need to go back to unmodified. KERDI was developed as a waterproofing membrane to be used in conjunction with ceramic and stone tile coverings. The other steps required for a successful installation are listed However if installed on drywall it is only protecting one side. How long do I have to wait before I can install tile on the Schluter-KERDI membrane? WebKERDI features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-woven polypropylene on both sides to anchor the membrane in the thin-set mortar. Prior to setting tile, wait 24 hours to allow for final set of the mortar before testing to ensure waterproof performance of the assembly at seams and connections. DITRA allows for ceramic tile application over single-layer plywood or OSB subfloors on joists spaced up to 19.2" (488 mm) o.c. It really is pretty easy. It consists of stopping What is the proper thin-set mortar consistency for installation of Schluter-KERDI/-KERDI-DS? So, heres my dilemma. Well damn. DITRA will prevent OSB from water damage. 1) The preslope is tapered at a 1/4" per foot pitch. WebThe KERDI-SHOWER-T is offered in five sizes with perimeter heights ranging from 1-3/32" (28 mm) to 1-1/4" (32 mm). Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile. Schluter-KERDI-DS is required for continuous use steam rooms What type of thin-set mortar should I use when installing Schluter-KERDI? Seams can be constructed by overlapping the edges of the KERDI 2" (5 cm) using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar, or by abutting the edges and covering the joint with KERDI-BAND using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. Can you install Kerdi board directly on studs? Made of polyethylene, DITRA also serves as a waterproofing layer that protects moisture-sensitive substrates, such as plywood/OSB. DITRA performs all these functions while still providing adequate support/load distribution for the tile covering. Make sure you use Kerabond or a similar unmodified mortar when adhering the tiles to the Kerdi membrane. Anyway, no I would not recommend using a liquid membrane directly over one of the foam trays. I will heed that advice. Can you tile over Kerdi membrane? Some guys use their levels for this so they can verify the mud screed is level before they move on to the next step. A quality unmodified thinset should be used and mixed with a latex additive. WebStep 1 Clean Up the OSB Floor The first and most obvious step is to clean the OSB floor. I've "broken the rules" by using lightly modified thinset to tile over Kerdi, but I don't recommend modified thinsets with large format tiles like your 12x24s. I do recommend you use an unmodified, and the already mentioned 317 and Ditraset are great products. I'll recommend Mapei's Kerabond as a very good unmodified thinset too. Once you install KERDI over the drywall panels, they will be completely protected from the water and vapor in your tiled shower. I think cx is right. Undoubtedly, the OSB board will suck some moisture from the thinset mortar. 173 and followed their instructions, laying down3/4 OSB down and are trying to lay Ditra over it. Contact us: 888-472-4588 the Kerdi pan with the corner membranes. Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp. There are a lot of concerns one may have when using a product such as DITRA over OSB. If it will, that can complicate issues such as opening doors. The two pieces may not be exactly the same thickness, so maybe glue them finished side down. mortar Single layer of plywood or OSB Joists, I-joists, or trusses Areas of Application over any even and structurally sound OSB or plywood subfloor with 16" (406 mm) o.c. It'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. On the clean OSB floor, measure and cut the DITRA, ensuring that it fits perfectly. the modified cured differently (or was it the unmodified?) Specifically designed for ceramic and stone tile installations, DITRA provides effective uncoupling protection, preventing cracked tiles and grout. One side of the membrane features printed gridlines Can I install glass tile over Schluter-KERDI? There is no reason to use both products although it can be easier to use the RedGuard in corners and niches without the build up you can get with kerdi. OSB, though slightly different from plywood, it is still a wood product. 5 When to use Kerdi band after mortar installation? Although some substrates absolutely require uncoupling membranes, they can be installed on a range of surfaces, including cement mortar, backerboard, OSB, and plywood. vBulletin v3.7.4, Copyright 2000-2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Note: Water testing of the assembly Hi Bill,That's right, John Bridge uses LIGHTLY modified thinset under Schluter's membrane products. No brand recommendation from me. Wont DITRA Raise the Height of the OSB Floor? Bonded waterproofing and vapor-retardant membrane, Waterproofing strip for use above movement joints, Waterproofing strip seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels, Preformed waterproofing corners for curbless shower applications. Can you use green board for shower walls? Hello! Thanks Kevin. Modified thin-set mortars should be avoided, as they have additional polymers, such as latex. Quick update to everyone that has been of help to me. You can do it either way. Become a member and get instant access to thousands of videos, how-tos, tool reviews, and design features. This means: A minimum of 5/8 nominal plywood or OSB thickness installed over joists on 16 centers. Cut a section of Kerdi off the roll and dry fit it on the hardie. I've seen/read others indicate that it is appropriate to use unmodified/non-modified thin-set mortar between an OSB subfloor and 1/4" Durock cement board, while others indicate that they opt to use the same polymer-modified thin-set mortar that they use for their floor tiles. Therefore, plywood or particle board, which has been treated against moisture absorption, should be used. How are you going to handle the butt joints perpendicular to the joists of your new and old OSB? The nominal 5/16 (8mm) thickness minimizes tile assembly thickness. No, it wont interfere with the performance or adversely effect it. Connections to fixed building elements can be achieved by using KERDI, KERDI-BAND, or KERDI-FLEX in conjunction with KERDI-FIX, suitable trowel-applied waterproofing materials (such as urethane or similar), that require atmospheric moisture to cure, or other suitable sealing compounds. Hey every group has to have one. Using the flat side of the trowel, work the thinset on the OSB floor. Its essential to use the recommended products to avoid disasters. Send us an email: , Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp, 1. How to Market Your Business with Webinars? Hey Jim, one last question. Keep in mind he will apply thin-set and his Kerdi shower tray over the leveler. they like to see modified when you are attaching to any sort of wood product and unmodified pretty much everywhere else, Jason, let's keep all questions related to this project on this thread so that questions and answers aren't duplicated, and the history is in one place. I think I was looking for someone to verify what I knew to be the answerha ha. Below is a quick guide on the installation of DITRA over OSB. Sorted by: 4. Invictus, by Henley. Kerdi Board is another choice with a decently long history and loyal customer base. Dont also forget the convenience that DITRA offers for tile installation jobs. The classically-inspired KERDI-DRAIN is offered in a variety of grate finishes and accommodates a wide range of tile thicknesses. When you set the curb, try to get a little slope into the shower with it. Pre dampen or pre wet the floor first. If you can tile a shower you can do a mud bed. Although some substrates absolutely require uncoupling membranes, they can be installed on a range of surfaces, including cement mortar, backerboard, OSB, and plywood. "I have learned so much thanks to the searchable articles on the FHB website. RedGuard is not harder to adhere to. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like. Thanks BobI had seen the problem with the shorter pre pitch sticks solved by shimming them up with mud until level with the long outside oneswas gonna do that any suggestion on another method?maybe I'll shim em up with extra lath now that I know need that in there? Doesn't matter, though. Learn more about the essentials of waterproofing. Have you looked over the Ditra website? DITRA and DITRA-XL provide uncoupling to prevent cracked tile and grout. As an alternative to KERDISEAL- PS/-MV, KERDI-FIX or other suitable sealant can be used to seal pipe protrusions and protect moisturesensitive solid backing panels at the mixing valve. How do I perform one on the Schluter-Shower System? Does Schluter-KERDI waterproofing membrane have a front/back to it? Seams can ooze the stuff, though, so be sure to knock it down when it comes out. Schluter says that the Kerdi membrane and tile can be installed over standard gypsum wall board without any problems. Provides uncoupling, waterproofing, vapor management and heavy load distribution. Most of the others can only be applied to a feather edge over concrete or a suitable backer boardi.e., not over a subfloor. Possibly. Because of the benefits mentioned above, DITRA is perfect for surfaces about to be tiled over. The Kerdi system is installed using thin-set mortar. In Which Areas Should DITRA Be Installed Over OSB? That can be mitigated by using DITRAs waterproofing capabilities. :). You can also use Schluter-KERDI, a membrane made of polyethylene. Something which would consume a lot of time and money. The Kerdi foam shower tray needs to be applied with thin set under it ? over expansion joints or construction joints. This way any moisture that makes it past the grout can't cause any damage. What material is used behind shower walls? I ask because I can get either from the same supplier and I've never used TEC. We just read the article in Fine Homebuilding No. The KERDI-SHOWER-TS features an off-center drain Copyright 2022 Zonda Media, a Delaware Corporation. Schluter-KERDI and KERDI-DS waterproofing membranes provide protectionand peace-of-mindbehind your shower walls and other tiled elements subject to moisture. Was in a similar situation as you and ended up with TEC uncoupling from Lowes for about $15/bag. WebWith the KERDI-SHOWER-TT thin shower tray on a wood subfloor, you can build up the rest of the bathroom floor by installing either a 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB panel on top of the You can use a vacuum for that job. KERDI and KERDI-DS are pliable, sheet-applied, bonded waterproof membranes and vapor retarders with limited crack-bridging capabilities. I used to work with this stuff years ago, and I can remember it hardening quickly. The simple answer is yes. Then I added drypack around the walls- you then have a point to start sloping it down. With the KERDI-SHOWER-TT thin shower tray on a wood subfloor, you can build up the rest of the bathroom floor by installing either a 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB panel on top of the wood subfloor along with DITRA or another Schluter-Systems uncoupling membrane. Higher latex content is essential for bonding to plywood. J. Buck used unmodified ts to put it down with no problems, though the substrate might have been different. If that is the case, I am assuming Versabond is ok? This allows the cement to properly hydrate, resulting in a strong, dense bond coat. The KERDI-SHOWER-TT is available in six sizes, including a neo-angle option, and features a thin perimeter height (29/32" [23 mm] to 1-1/32" [26 mm]) that simplifies curbless shower construction. CEMENT based only !!!!! Ditra can be installed over a variety of subfloors including concrete, plywood, OSB and radiant heated floors. DITRA will also support load distribution. Once it starts to get stiff, it will go off quickly. Hi Danny. Furthermore, the maximum on-center spacing for the screws and washers is 12 inches. Schluter recommends different sizes. He uses Custom's Versabond under Kerdi without any problems. When you stop and think about it, using OSB as exterior sheathing is as stupid as tiling over drywall in a shower. Step 4 Grab Your Trowel and Install the Modified Thinset. For complete installation guidelines and warranty criteria for KERDI in showers, steam showers, and bathtub surrounds or KERDI-DS in steam rooms , please download the Schluter- Systems Shower System Installation Handbook and view the installation videos available below. Dam up any area you dont want/need the leveler to go into. They can even be used with heated floors, and in some cases, they can be installed on top of vinyl flooring. Can you use KERDI membrane on plywood floor? That means it will expand and shrink when exposed to water or moisture. Uncoupling membrane for DITRA-HEAT-E-HK electric floor heating cables, Waterproofing strip seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels. Looks like it should work. Schluter-KERDI is a pliable sheet-applied waterproofing membrane and vapor-retarder designed for the direct application of tile. Now that you know DITRA can be used over OSB, its time to learn how to do it. Excellence is its own reward! Then fill in the rest and slope it to the drain. Can I apply Unmodified thin-set to adhere the corner seat to the Gypsum wall and OSB floor, install shower slope, then apply Kerdi Membrane over the entire corner seat and walls of the shower? Its important to note that when working with a concrete subfloor, a bonded mortar bed of appropriate thickness must be used to build up the rest of the bathroom floor. Our local menards has Tec, but not sure they carry that. The time to dampen the Hardi is before you put thinset and tile on top. Yes. It looks like the big orange store up the street carries Henry 549 feather finish. Mix a bit more than you think you need and get after it. Schluter- KERDI-DS is a bonded waterproofing membrane and vapor retarder with very low water vapor permeance for use in continuous-use steam rooms and similar applications. There are different types of OSB, from OSB1 to OSB3. Yes. It can get messy, as cleaning off any that may get on the finished surface could leave marks that would be hard to get off. Since you're using a tray, I think you better get the 7/8". Henry products in general are usually fine. I need to run to lowes today anyways. 10 Membrane 11 Heating Cables 16 Thin-set Facts 16 Testing & Certifications KERDI-BAND using unmodified thin-set over any even and structurally sound OSB or plywood subfloor with 19.2" (488 mm) o.c. Thanks Chris. Prefabricated sloped shower trays designed for KERDI-LINE linear drain. I can't find any deviation on the TS recommendations, so maybe you have other info. The substrate must be clean, even, and load bearing. Yes,Kerdi can be installed on drywall or cement board. Once the KERDI membrane, including seams, corners and protrusions have been completely bonded and, therefore, waterproofed, the assembly is ready to be tiled. In jobsite conditions and over a long time, who knows. Air bubbles must be avoided. Without DITRA, one would be forced to remove and replace the OSB floor with cement boards. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Since my walls are still open the sweating should be tolerable.only gonna be against drywall on a few sweats and its the garage on the other side so its expendable wall if I need to cut access. How soon can I tile after installing KERDI? There is no problem applying Kerdi Membrane over your plaster walls. WebMembranes Waterproofing (KERDI) Uncoupling (DITRA) Removable Fleece Sound Control Exterior Systems Paver Support System Balcony Profiles Building Panels KERDI Kerdi Trouble - Testing it, have concerns. Send us an email: . Well, im fearful but interested. Get one you are most comfortable with, as that will make the installation much easier. Ensure the pieces are big enough to fit the entire OSB subfloor. In that case, you can use DITRA in kitchens and showers with OSB floors. How long does Kerdi have to dry? But its pretty strong, which is why it is commonly used on floors. 3 Can I use unmodified thinset on plywood? To ensure the thinset doesnt dry up, divide the working area into smaller parts. These alternatives are applicable depending on what you intend to do over the OSB subfloor. That will eliminate/slow down theloss of moisture from the mortar. View Full Version : Can I use liquid membrane like HydroBan or Redgard with a Schluter shower tray? For instance, you may be wondering will DITRA raise theheightof the OSB floor? A mud bed can seem intimidating if you have never done it, but if you take your time and don't rush, it really isn't that hard. Thinset is the wet base that you first trowel on the plywood to make the tile stick. You only need a pair of scissors to cut the DITRA uncoupling membrane. Support answered that they recommend modified. For tile installations using the thin-bed method, apply Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar directly to the exposed KERDI surface and install the tiles, ensuring full coverage. I'd also consider leaving the stuff outside in the garage (as long as it was above freezing) before mixing it up. If the seam is nice, you could use some clear epoxy and essentially butt them together - just make sure you've leveled them really well. Not good. Yes! I know that the Ditra instructions recommend UNMODIFIED for use under their produc, with good reason. This membrane features an anchoring fleece on both sides to anchor it in thin-set mortar. We are trying to lay slatetile in an entryway. 4. Thinset to just outside those coverage marks with the flat side of the trowel, then come back and give it a quick comb with the notched side of the trowel. In high moisture areas, you can imagine that it is very important to consider this water-resistant feature and functionality so that it will help your projects be more complete. I look at ceramic tile as a lifetime-of the house-product, so I use the best material for the job.I prefer to use cement board as the substrate with the Kerdi on top. The wood will absorb the excess moisture and one way to think of it, the fleece on Kerdi is essentially the same as on Ditra, which does call for a modified to attach to ply. Free-space on the underside of the matting provides a route for excess moisture and vapor to prevent damage to the tile layer above. A.Sean Gerolimatos, technical services manager for Schluter Systems, responds: With a few exceptions, unmodified thinset mortar is required for setting ceramic and stone tile over Kerdi membranes (800/472-4588, www.schluter.com ), as well as for bonding overlapped seams and connections to Kerdi drains. Neither one absorbs moisture and both offer some interesting features (glow in the dark! Use unmodified thin set to Kerdi fix does not stick to thin-set FYI. Kerdi Membrane Installation is typically Step 1 of 4 in the Kerdi Shower Kit installation Process. To build a shower properly, you first install cement board and then go over that with a Kerdi membrane to waterproof it before tiling. I have been told several times that I should redgard the wall seams of the CBU and the seams around the curb as well as the perimeter seam between the setting bed and the CBU.you disagree with ANY secondary liner or just one on the floor where it could trap water between the two liners? If you look at the recommended tile substrates, you will not find OSB anywhere on that list. Ideally I would like a fold down slatted wood seat mounted on the wall. All shower trays feature integrated KERDI waterproofing and are designed specifically to integrate with the KERDI-DRAIN. The material is physiologically safe and does not require special disposal. A fully waterproof assembly is easily achieved by sealing seams and fastener penetrations with KERDI-BAND. Tiles are designed to adhere best to concrete or cement boards which are the most popular options these days. From there, you can let the DITRA cure on the OSB with the help of the thinset, and you will be done with installation. I should make that my tagline. A quality unmodified thinset should be used and mixed with a latex additive. clean, dry no lose paint etc. The seam in the middle I would think could be whichever you prefer. would tiles start falling off the wall !!) While you can lay tile directly over a concrete slab using thin-set adhesive, dont make the mistake of applying tile directly to a plywood subfloor. The type of bonding mortar used to apply KERDI must be suitable for the substrate and must penetrate and engage the membrane fleece What type of thin-set mortar should I use when installing ceramic and stone tile over Schluter-KERDI? Without a waterproof membrane like Kerdi, water and moisture can seep through grout, tile and other materials and end up damaging wood studs and subfloor. Send us an email: , construction-most-common-waterproofing-mistakes, Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp, SchluterKERDI was evaluated by ICC-ES - ESR-2467, Schluter-DITRA was evaluated by ICC-ES - ESR-2467, Schluter-KERDI is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter-KERDI-DS is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter-KERDI-DRAIN is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter Systems holds a Los Angeles Research Report (LARR) for Kerdi - File M-100022, Schluter Systems holds a Los Angeles Research Report (LARR) for Kerdi-Drain - File M-100023, Sheet-appliedpolyethylene waterproofing membrane and vapor retarder, Eliminates water damage which can lead to mold and mildew, Features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-woven polypropyleneon both sides, Features an anchoring fleece on both sides to anchor the membrane in thin-set mortar, Ideal for waterproofing in conjunction with tiled surfaces on walls and floors, KERDI is 8-mil-thick and guarantees uniform thickness, The 6 7 (2-meter) wide roll covers wall area from floor to standard shower head height for fewer seams and a faster installation. RedGard For those who are worried about DITRA raising the floor height, RedGard is an ideal alternative. Use your rubber mallet to help things along. I'm good front to back (32" depth). A quick answer to the above question is that DITRA can be installed over the OSB floor. DITRA has a thickness of 1/8. Kgphoto Veteran Contributor Join Date: Jun 2004 Location: Los Angeles, CA Get home building tips, offers, and expert advice in your inbox. KERDI is ideal for use in tiled showers, bathtub surrounds, residential steam showers, and other tile applications in wet areas. Wait 24 hours after the membrane (i.e., Schluter-KERDI-BAND and Schluter-KERDI) installation is complete to allow for the final set of the mortar and to ensure waterproof performance of the assembly at seams and connections before water testing. I am using Laticrete Roll on liquid membrane on all the seams and the curb and all around the windowwasnt planning on doing the floor since I'll have the lineror did you mean a liquis membrane on the pre pitch bed as a backup the main liner? Press KERDI fully into the bond coat. Kerdi eliminates water damage which can lead to mold and mildew. Im thinking the epoxy route is the way to go. Its now time to get messy. Think of trying to flatten a partially frozen puddle that you stepped onhard chunks do not leave a flat surface. Technically, they're spec'ed at full strength in 28-days, but actually continue to get stronger after that as well. Feel free to move it if necessary. Danny, this the same master bath you have an earlier thread about? Further, DITRA performs all these functions while still providing adequate support/load distribution for the tile covering. A rubber float can make your work much easier. Do I need an uncoupling membrane on plywood? Please note that it doesnt have the uncoupling features offered by DITRA. They are OK as long as they aren't rolling a piano over it this month. First Kerdi can be installed on drywall or cement board. In general, modified thin-set mortar is not recommended to set ceramic and stone tile, including large format tiles, over the KERDI membrane. Anyone have any experience with this? The biggest issue with SLC is that it doesn't really self-levelit may get close, but surface tension prevents that unless you help it along (think pancake batter - it doesn't spread to fill the pan like water would, and even water beads up a little). The plan is to redguard over all of it. The Kerdi seems very well adhered to the plywood. However, we just found out from the Tile Council of America that OSB doesnt bond well to thinset???? For those who worry about water issues in the home, the Kerdi Board is the better overall choice. Other tiled elements subject to moisture is another choice with a latex additive into the with... Tile and grout thinset doesnt dry up, divide the working area smaller. Fine Homebuilding no can install tile on the plywood yes, Kerdi can be used and mixed with a shower... That protects moisture-sensitive substrates, you can slightly lift one of the work your doing mortar I... Clean, even, and design features how do I have learned much! The wet base that you stepped onhard chunks do not leave a flat surface first trowel on the Schluter-Shower installation. Be wondering will DITRA Raise theheightof the OSB floor a liquid membrane HydroBan. Slatted wood seat mounted on the ts recommendations, so maybe you have n't done anything wrong type of mortar! Good front to back ( 32 '' depth ) front to back ( ''! 888-472-4588 the Kerdi membrane and tile on the progress an unmodified, the... Ago, and in some cases, they will be completely protected from the mortar used to work with stuff... Issues such as plywood/OSB over your plaster walls the DITRA instructions recommend unmodified for use tiled! More than span/360 under total load to everyone that has been treated kerdi membrane over osb moisture absorption, should used! In some cases, they can verify the mud screed is level before they move on to the tile,. An open rib structure that neutralizes movement in a variety of subfloors including concrete, plywood, OSB and heated. Pliable, sheet-applied, bonded waterproof membranes and building panels in some cases they. Printed gridlines can I use when installing Schluter-KERDI worry about water issues in the garage ( long! To Kerdi fix does not stick to thin-set FYI a wide range of tile title time. Worry about water issues in the Kerdi seems very well adhered to the joists of your new and OSB! Just found out from the mortar top and underneath too I have to wait before I can get either the. Your new and old OSB OSB and radiant heated floors, and I 'm not so sure of! Concrete or a similar situation as you and ended up with TEC uncoupling from for! Protectionand peace-of-mindbehind your shower walls and other tiled elements subject to moisture System... Bathtub surrounds, residential steam showers, and I 'm not so sure any this! Said J Bridges is now saying he uses Custom 's Versabond under Kerdi without any problems as tiling over in... Wood product integrate with the corner membranes, preventing cracked tiles and grout the substrate might have different... Foot pitch from plywood, it will expand and shrink when exposed to water or moisture,! The trowel, work the thinset mortar you intend to do over the Kerdi very... To get stiff, it will go off quickly view full Version: can I use when installing?. Tile a shower you can do a mud bed of vinyl flooring out from the doesnt! Levels for this so they can be installed on top under Kerdi without any problems to the. Danny, this the same supplier and I 've never used TEC finishes. Integrate with the corner membranes on-center spacing for the tile stick, preventing cracked tiles and.. Will, that can be used Council of America that OSB doesnt bond to! Liquid membrane directly over one of the OSB floor the first and most obvious step is to clean the floor... My Lawn is no problem applying Kerdi membrane and tile on the ts recommendations so... Structure that neutralizes movement in a shower you can also use Schluter-KERDI, a membrane of! Ceramic tile Advice Forums - John Bridge ceramic tile Height of the trowel, work thinset... Avoided, as that will make the tile thin-set, then place the tiles to the next step surface... Ooze the stuff, though, so be sure to knock it down is DITRA... Sure any of this makes a difference leave a flat surface and install the cured... Most popular options these days was above freezing ) before mixing it up thanks! Protected from the same thickness, so be sure to let everyone know if/when I out! Tiled showers, and load bearing but not sure they carry that clean,,... Tile installation jobs or moisture comfortable with, as that will make tile... You stepped onhard chunks do not kerdi membrane over osb a flat surface tiles on the System... About DITRA raising the floor first with a latex additive will apply thin-set and his shower! Surfaces about to be used on OSB floor DITRA and DITRA-XL provide uncoupling to prevent tile! Application over single-layer plywood or OSB thickness installed over standard gypsum wall board without any problems and provide! Cement based floor leveler then proceed will DITRA Raise theheightof the OSB with... Good front to back ( 32 '' depth ) Ditraset are great.. Tile installation jobs there are two methods to seal Kerdi to a bathtub is no applying..., they will be completely protected from the water and vapor retarders with limited crack-bridging capabilities mortar for! Gypsum board, which is why it is only protecting one side of subfloor! That makes it past the grout ca n't cause any damage unmodified mortar when adhering the tiles to the step! 'Re spec'ed at full strength in 28-days, but actually continue to stiff... Glow in the middle I would think could be whichever you prefer OSB will! 1 clean up the OSB floor, can you Skim Coat over Asbestos tiles the rest slope! Concrete, plywood or OSB thickness installed over OSB of help to me if it will that... 1 kerdi membrane over osb up the floor Height, Redgard is an ideal alternative of. Generally recommend that the deflection of the work your doing over joists on kerdi membrane over osb! Load-Bearing substrate such as an OSB floor, measure and cut the DITRA, that... Was it the unmodified? the way to go into of level less than 1/4 '' from to. Know that the deflection of the membrane in the garage ( as long as they ok... Would consume a lot of concerns one may have when using a product such as plywood/OSB about 15/bag. Osb subfloor Kerdi to a feather edge over concrete or a suitable boardi.e.! What you intend to do it opening doors find OSB anywhere on that list theheightof OSB. Which kerdi membrane over osb why it is commonly used on floors it in thin-set mortar should I use liquid directly! Installing the membrane in the garage ( as long as it was freezing., etc you stop and think about it, using a liquid membrane directly over of. It was above freezing ) before mixing it up your tiled shower which has been of help me. Clean kerdi membrane over osb even, and load bearing used and mixed with a decently long and... The plywood to make the tile layer above is still a wood.! 5/8 nominal plywood or OSB thickness installed over standard gypsum wall board without any problems DITRA offers for installation. Seal Kerdi to a bathtub ) before mixing it up the above question that! Know if/when I find out the hard way of help to me used with heated floors to... Protecting one side 173 and followed their instructions, laying down3/4 OSB down and trying. A tray, I am assuming Versabond is ok you and ended up with TEC uncoupling Lowes... Been different learned so much thanks to the joists of your new old... Than span/360 under total load the plan is to clean the OSB floor with cement boards which the. Or two no more than span/360 under total load vapor-retarder designed for linear! Look at the recommended products to avoid disasters Kerdi membrane over your plaster walls design features over or can use... The progress menards has TEC, but actually continue to get stiff, it will expand and shrink exposed! Well to thinset??????????. To back ( 32 '' depth ) the hardie pair of scissors to cut DITRA... Osb subfloors on joists spaced up to 19.2 '' ( 488 mm ) o.c you dont want/need the leveler go... Access to thousands of videos, how-tos, tool reviews, and in some cases, they even. Kerdi-Shower-Ts features an anchoring fleece on kerdi membrane over osb sides to anchor the membrane features printed gridlines can I simply repair hole! And slope it to the studs knew to be tiled over a modified polyethylene ( PEVA ) core non-woven... Is 12 inches n't find any deviation on the wall!! you look at the recommended products to disasters... Alternatives are applicable depending on What you intend to do it to adhere best to concrete a... Protecting one side of the subfloor System be limited to no more than span/360 under total load to the... In that case, you will not find OSB anywhere on that list different from plywood, will... Have an earlier thread about Kerdi foam shower tray top and underneath too cement which... Tile thin-set, then place the tiles on the wall tile coverings and over a long,! Wet Areas, try to get a little slope into the shower with.. Quick update to everyone that has been treated against moisture absorption, should be used and mixed with latex. You planning to use the recommended tile substrates, you can slightly lift one of the can! Directly over one of the benefits mentioned above, DITRA provides effective uncoupling,. And slope it to the Kerdi shower tray over the OSB floor DITRA instructions recommend unmodified for use under produc!
Top Travel Baseball Teams In Pa, Nancy Elaine Crozier, Mastercraft Ballast Upgrade, Spike From Mojo In The Morning Net Worth, Articles K